You are a member of a team that is the heart of the Miller Branch. A team that welcomes customers every day with a friendly smile and a wave. You create memorable experiences for customers who return again and again because of you. You are efficient and knowledgeable about our services and products, assisting our customers with their needs. You are the person they look for when they come and seek you out to say hello.
You embrace and maintain an environment of inclusion, diversity, and respect for your colleagues and customers. Whether working directly with customers or behind the scenes, our remarkable team is committed to education that aids in the dismantling of unjust systems and creating a more equitable and just society for all people. As such, we work to ensure that this mission achieves our racial and social equity goals in all that we do.
We are seeking highly motivated a Customer Service Specialist to join our team! Candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply! We offer a friendly, collaborative work environment and a generous benefits package including 15 paid holidays and your birthday off.
Ready to join one of North America’s leading and most transformative library systems to help us elevate services for our highly educated and supportive community?
Who you are:
· You are empathetic
· You engage well with others and love getting to know those around you
· You are passionate about delivering an extraordinary customer experience
· You are a problem solver and lifelong learner
· You are energetic and inspire fun
· You are a great communicator and a patient listener
· You love a well-oiled machine
A position you will love:
· You enthusiastically welcome customers to the Savage Branch with a smile and provide a memorable customer experience
· You enjoy the time you spend at work, meeting new customers and issuing borrower cards
· You cheerfully check materials in and out, anticipating our customers’ needs
· You are at home at the keyboard, and are comfortable with helping customers at the copy center, or self-check out
· You provide memorable and efficient service to the public by connecting customers with the information they seek in person and over the phone
· You are knowledgeable about our products, events and services and enjoy sharing this information with customers
· You gracefully resolve customer issues, reconcile records and are a natural with money
· You are eager to learn new things and processes
· You sort and return materials to designated locations within the system
· You take great care of the collection and participate in shelf reading
· You are reliable. You assist with open and closing of building
· You take ownership of your assigned projects within Customer Service Department
· You value your time with fellow staff attending staff meetings and training sessions
· You jump in where needed to perform other duties and special projects, as assigned
· You can be depended upon to maintain regular and predictable attendance
· You take pride in adhering to all policies and procedures
We are guided by these shared values:
· Position Howard County Library System (HCLS) as a major component of public education for all ages
· Contribute to achieving HCLS' racial and social equity goals. Please view the Brave Voices, Brave Choices initiative.
· Effectively live the Seven Pillars of HCLS' strategic plan (Authentic Values, Strategic Vocabulary, Everyone a Leader, Winning Teamwork, Community Partnerships, The Power of Us, and Fiercely Loyal Customers), motivating others to do so as well
· Advances HCLS' educational mission, effectively communicating our curriculum, which comprises Three Pillars (Self-Directed Education, Research Assistance & Instruction, Instructive & Enlightening Experiences)
Do you have what it takes?
· High School diploma or equivalency certificate
· People skills – ability to work effectively with staff and customers of various races and ethnicities and enjoy it
· Exemplifies extraordinary customer service skills
· Demonstrate a passion for working with a diverse public
· Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English effectively
· Ability to understand and retain detailed instructions
· Tech savvy – ability to use programs/processes such as the Internet, office applications, as well as other library related programs
· Ability to use a cash register
· Current valid driver’s license
Your job will involve being on the move:
· You need to stand, walk, bend, stoop, squat, reach, and push/pull a cart up to 50lbs
· In addition, strenuous activity is required, such as carrying bags or boxes of books (weighing up to 30 lbs.) or arranging rooms for classes and events.
· Some driving required.
· Position located at the Miller Branch
· Works under the supervision of the Customer Service Supervisor
· Full-time; 37.5 hours per week; Monday – Saturday, days, evenings, and weekends, alternating Fridays and Saturdays; maximum of two Sundays out of four
· Evenings and weekends also may be required for HCLS signature events
· Grade 3: Salary Range: $33,409 - $58,087/year
· Applications must be received by 5 pm Monday, September 26, 2022
Howard County’s diversity is its greatest asset. Howard County Library System embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. All communities, including communities of color and immigrant communities, are fundamental to our spirit of service, workforce and long-term success. Equity and empowerment are top priorities. We believe all Howard County residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. Among our goals is for our workforce to reflect the community it serves. We are actively working to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Howard County Library System takes pride in providing equal employment opportunities.
The job skills required for Customer Service Specialist include Customer Service, Products and Services, Teamwork etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Customer Service Specialist. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Customer Service Specialist. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
If you are interested in becoming a Customer Service Specialist, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Customer Service Specialist for your reference.