The Systems Engineer is responsible for the professional and timely resolution of alerts generated from system-managed devices. The complexity of alerts will range from simple to complex based on the specific client environment. The systems-managed devices range from enterprise storage arrays to local area networking equipment as well as virtualized and physical servers. From time to time the Systems Engineer may be tasked to work on projects. These projects can range from simple infrastructure refresh to Office 365 migrations, to complex infrastructure refresh.
Key Elements of the Role
The primary responsibility of the Systems Engineer is to resolve systems-generated alerts including but not limited to the monitoring of customer backup environments, VMware environments, patch management, and other projects. Additionally, the Systems Engineer will work as an escalation point of the help desk team and take regular calls as needed during high volume periods.
- Ensure a high level of responsiveness, communication, professionalism, and technical knowledge. Continually striving to improve Helixstorm client experience, perception, and overall satisfaction.
- Continuous development of both technical support and customer service skill set based on the direction of immediate supervisor.
- Performing regular maintenance tasks on managed devices to include but not limited to; Firewalls, Switches, Routers, and Server (both physical and virtual) as directed by management.
- Follow all in place change control procedures.
- Manage and maintain customer backup environments by performing periodic reviews of the systems and trial restores as needed to validate the backup systems; this includes customer-owned backup systems as well as the Helixstorm Managed Backup and Disaster Recovery service.
- General understanding of each managed service’s client computing environment as well as the ability to quickly troubleshoot issues as they present themselves.
- Setup, configuration, and ongoing management of Helixstorm RMM tool(s) to include the deployment of toolset into customer environments during the onboarding process.
- Identify and resolve the root cause of outages caused by failures of client devices; craft complete post-mortems of the events to be presented to customers as needed to be directed by management.
- Coordinate with internal resources as well as third-party services providers to resolve issues as needed; leverage third-party providers to perform mundane work when appropriate.
- Exercise sound judgment while solving technical issues presented by managed services clients. To include protection of Helixstorm client's employee data during the troubleshooting process.
- Manage work and time as service tickets in ConnectWise system; prompt and accurate time entry in the systems to ensure accurate client billing as well as contract profitability.
- Maintain system documentation as needed to support clients; continuously review documentation to ensure it is relevant to current client support requirements.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned.
Experience and Background Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology/Computer Science or equivalent
- Seven years of hands-on experience administering either a Microsoft and/or VMware computing environment with the recent support of Microsoft Office365 and/or Azure deployments
- Current Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and/or Equivalent Certifications
- Excellent organizational skills; enthusiasm for multi-tasking, and a TEAM player
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; both verbally and in writing.
- The ability to demonstrate, active listening and customer care, within a fast-paced environment
- Current experience working in the MSP industry not required but a plus
- Ability to work weekends and/or off-hours as necessary to meet Company's needs.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and analyzes problems in a systematic manner to ensure ticket resolution with root cause analysis in mind. Evaluates solutions and alternatives to support request resolution.
- Client Satisfaction - Provides and delivers professional, helpful, high-quality service and assistance to ensure customer's needs are met.
- Results Driven – Performs work in a solution-focused manner.
- Creativity & Innovation – Looks at situations with new approaches, encouraging new ideas resulting in quicker and more effective customer resolutions.
Goals for this Role:
- Client-assigned support requests are resolved in a timely manner; timely is defined as 80% of support requests are resolved on the first client interaction. Less than 5% of the trailing 30 days assigned support requests to remain open for more than three business days.
- System-generated alerts and/or support requests are resolved in a timely manner; timely is defined as 95% of issues are resolved within 24 hours.
- Management assigned and/or systems generated maintenance activities to be completed within 3 days of assignment and/or within the next customer-approved maintenance window.
- Time entry complete based on company policy, all time entries are to be completed while the work is performed.
The Systems Engineer is required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far vision. Ability to, operate a computer keyboard and lift equipment. Will have exposure to glare from a computer. Must be able to lift 25 lbs and travel via automobile up to 25%. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.