PRIMARY PURPOSE: Serves as admissions advisor, handling public inquiries, working directly with animals while facilitating successful customer care. Responsible for admitting and releasing animals (owner relinquishment, stray admissions, lost and found, foster care), handles humane trap loans, as well as providing education and information to the public.
Reports To: Admissions Manager, Admissions Assistant Manager
- Animal Admissions. Accepts and releases animals including accurate transactions and database entries, fee handling, pet microchipping and vaccinating, humane animal handling, animal photography and placement of animals in proper holding areas. This function includes but is not limited to stray arrivals, owner surrenders, as well as releasing foster care animals.
- Customer Care. Treats all animals and the public in a friendly manner with compassionate professionalism, following up on public requests in a timely manner including returning phone calls, and responds to questions about euthanasia and other issues according to established guidelines. Communicates a positive public image of the organization.
- Lost & Found. Assists public with lost and found animals and makes efforts for reunions. Posts and updates all photos of lost/found animals to the shelter database.
- Animal Care Management. Contacts veterinary services team (including after daytime business hours) to expedite urgent care of sick, suffering, or injured animals if needed.
- Financial Reports. Provides daily activity reports and cash management activities for accounting.
- Admissions Center Maintenance. Ensures a clean, organized, and welcoming admissions center. Organizes and orders supplies with supervisor approval as needed.
- Organizational Improvements. Shares ideas and suggestions for department and organization improvements.
- Must abide by all Hawaiian Humane policies and job duty procedures including but not limited to surrender fees, microchip fees, humane trap (rental) fees, and redemption fees.
- Operations Support. Provides support in adoptions, animal care, outreach, transfer, and other departments as needed. May include vehicle training for animal transport, dispatching of officers for emergencies and inputting field assignments as needed and assisting Humane Investigators with animal admissions and processing from the field as needed.
- Other Duties as Assigned. May include organization-wide support as needed such as but not limited to participation in events, fundraising, and Hawaiian Humane's role as a first responder to disasters.
JOB CONDITIONS: Indoors and outdoors as needed.
- Equipment Use: Computer, database, and telephone systems. Use of all sheltering related animal equipment including tools for containing animals humanely, safely, and securely. Shelter related medical equipment and tools for administering vaccines humanely and safely. Use of Hawaiian Humane Vehicles.
- Hours: Based on operational requirements. Must be available 40 hours a week with overtime as needed any 7 days of the week, weekends, and holidays.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently and as a team successfully with proven communication, collaboration, and customer service.
- Must be able to maintain professionalism, composure, and compassion in emotionally charged situations and able to resolve conflicts effectively.
- Must be able to perform physically rigorous work, stand for long periods of time and able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must have no limitations to prevent handling or working with all animals.
- Skills/Knowledge: Must have excellent customer service skills including verbal and written communications. Must be able to competently perform cash, computer, and paperwork transactions. Must be willing to drive company vehicles including animal transport trucks. Must pass a driving background check with a valid driver's license and acceptable driving record as may be required to drive as needed according to organizational policy.
- Education/Training: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: One year of customer service experience and animal handling preferred.
As a condition of employment, an applicant selected for hire is required to verify COVID-19 fully vaccinated status with HR prior to starting work. To be exempt from this requirement, an applicant must submit supporting documentation of exemption due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief to HR.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.