Fairstead is a vertically integrated real estate company specializing in affordable and mixed-income housing. Since 2014, Fairstead has acquired and/or developed more than $4 Billion of multifamily property across the country, and today owns a portfolio of 16,500 apartments in 18 states. The company’s comprehensive platform provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design and construction, energy and sustainability, property management and social services.
Fairstead’s primary mission is to provide high quality housing to all regardless of income, and to make our stakeholders feel “Right at Home.” We accomplish this through an empathetic and innovative approach, and by utilizing our interdisciplinary platform as an investor, developer, owner, and operator. Fairstead provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design, construction, energy, sustainability, property management and social services.
With a long-term commitment to its residents, communities, and partners, the Fairstead team stands out by:
- Listening to and understanding the needs of its residents, communities, partners, and stakeholders alike
- Developing and preserving high quality affordable housing in an innovative and sustainable fashion
- Creating a positive social and environmental impact within the properties and communities it serves
Fairstead’s Core Values
At the direction of the Regional Manager, the General Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of oversees the day-to-day operations of the properties in their portfolio and coordinate all on-site compliance activities. The General Manager is responsible for all performance of the portfolio which includes direct oversight of the marketing program, financial performance and personnel decisions including:
- Understands and ensures adherence to all Department of Urban Development, Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act and other laws related to leasing
- Assist in the development of responses to regulatory agencies with the coordination with Affordable Portfolio Manager and Affordable Compliance Specialist
- Notify Affordable Regional Portfolio Manager to assist with interventions for tenants of concern
- Develop intervention strategies with Affordable Regional Portfolio Manager and Affordable Compliance Specialist for tenants who are non-compliant with lease/compliance requirements
- Assisting tenants with requests, questions, problems, and complaints
Arrears & Litigation
- Monitor tenant and complex wide arrears and litigation cases
- Attend monthly arrears meeting
- Unit turnover update
- Documents lease violations and coordinate evictions
- Direct collection of monthly rents and late fees, process applications and pursue delinquencies through legal action and eviction. Monitor bad debt write-off.
- Create purchase orders for jobs that exceed $1,000.00
- Ensure invoices received timely
- Approve invoices in the AP account
- Approve invoices in Yardi after the AP team processes for payment
- Monitor closing of POs and WOs in Yardi
Site Staff Oversight
- Alerting staff of move ins, move outs, any emergencies
- Establishes expectations and goals for staff and evaluate performance.
- Ensures proper staffing or coverage of the site at all times
- Coordinates all site-specific aspects of payroll including the management of employee timecards/Fingerchek
- Maintains scheduled office hours, condition of office and that all administrative assistant responsibilities are handled professionally.
- Supervises and monitors completion of on-site tasks related to preventive maintenance, routine maintenance, and emergency maintenance; document, timely, in Yardi.
- Directing and monitoring maintenance staff responses to requests for service and emergency repairs
- Consistently working to clear violations
- Coordinates vendor bids and contractor quotes.
- Conducts required unit inspections; move-in inspection with new incoming tenants, annual inspections for all units, and move-out inspection. All inspections must be documented and place in the tenant’s file.
- Conduct bi-annual walk throughs with Building Superintendent and create reports for review to ensure all buildings under the CM’s responsibility are properly maintained and building needs are appropriately noted, planned for, and addressed.
- Develop on-going maintenance work and monitoring plan to ensure building is properly maintained and is in compliance with fire safety and sanitation regulations.
- Respond to emergencies in timely manner and communicate with appropriate staff to develop response/intervention as needed
- Implement any and all corporate and property policies and procedures
- Attend weekly construction meetings
- Provide and obtain updates on various ongoing construction projects
- Provide and obtain updates on unit renovations
- Work with construction team on:
- Avoiding violations
- Necessary access
- Prepare monthly financial cover sheet
- Attend monthly financial catch up meeting
- Monitor budgets
- Ability to explain irregularities on variances
- Ensure all purchases are completed within budget and are processed in a timely manner
- Provide superior customer service to residents and prospective tenants by promptly responding to all incoming calls, messages, and emails in a professional, respectful manner
- Keep track of all necessary building repairs
- Follow up with building preventive maintenance lists
- Keep track of daily work order flow ie how many are being created? daily/weekly and how many are being closed out? daily and weekly
- Property managers weekly checklist of each property.
- Property managers should visit each site at least once a week and provide a report.
- Regional property managers should review property managers reports weekly
- minimum 5 years’ property management experience
- 1 year tax credit experience
- 2-3 years experience managing a site of 10 employees
- Proficient in YARDI
- Exceptional communication, customer service, and organizational skills
- Able to diffuse difficult situations
- In-depth knowledge of Affordable Housing
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Manages multiple priorities while demonstrating the initiative to produce results and resolve problems
- COS certification a plus