Calspan ASE is the world’s number one supplier of ground-based testing solutions and expertise for the aerospace industry. Our customers get a single, experienced partner to help them efficiently validate engine and airframe performance across development, production and maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO).
The Systems Engineer serves as the technical lead and interface between the Calspan engineering team, project manager, subcontractors, and the end user. This role requires a team leader capable of coordinating engineering activities such as system interfaces, technical scope, requirements, risk management, and verification and validation efforts.
- Responsible for developing a subject matter expert level of understanding for assigned project requirements. Enforce internal and external scope creep, and verify that all project requirements are met. Synthesize technical risks throughout the lifecycle of the project and present how these represent project or financial risks to the project manager, Calspan management, and the end user.
- Represent the project team in executive level reviews. Lead cross functional teams in integration efforts to drive systems thinking, and develop a unified approach to problem solving to meet all project requirements. Proactively drive integration and quality efforts throughout project lifecycle to identify, asses, and mitigate potential failure and safety concerns within the system being developed.
- Enforce project quality at every level by managing verification and validation testing efforts at the sub-system and system levels throughout every phase of the project. Lead and delegate to cross functional teams of Calspan engineering and subcontractors to ensure that validation processes satisfy all requirements.
- Implement model-based systems engineering through the use of tools including systems architecture, concept of operations, and interface control documents to ensure that the requirements and stakeholders needs are met throughout every level of the system lifecycle.
- Collaborate with other systems engineers to build templates and tools to improve efficacy of the role. Provide mentorship and training to Calspan engineers on the concepts of systems engineering.
Preferred Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Systems, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related discipline;
- 5 years of practical work experience in design engineering, systems engineering, or similar roles with large industrial equipment or facilities;
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to above.
Preferred Knowledge / Ability:
- Experienced team Leader in areas of communication, problem solving, and risk management.
- Proven history in managing teams to a unified goal.
- Excellent presentation, leadership skills, demonstrated initiative, and attention to completeness, accuracy and detail.
- Experience with writing and reviewing complex project requirement documents.
- Familiarity with integrating large scale multi-disciplinary designs with inputs from mechanical, electrical, civil, aero-thermal, and software engineering teams.
- Strong disposition to train, mentor, and support fellow engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively as an individual contributor and collaborate as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Propensity to proactively identify system improvement efforts, and drive them to completion.
- Must be a self-starter, able to balance priorities between multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to clearly analyze symptoms while quickly and calmly delivering solutions.
- Knowledge or desire to learn systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories.
- Formal experience with risk assessments, FMEA’s and hazard analysis.
- Experience with jet engine test cells and wind tunnels or related aerospace research and test equipment.
- Strong understanding of System design/CONOPS.
- 10% international and/or domestic travel.
- Valid passport.
Benefits Package: Our goal is to provide Calspan employees and their families with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. Our benefits include: Health Insurance, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance/Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short-Term/Long-Term Disability, 401(k), Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Hospital Indemnity Insurance, Universal Life Insurance Policy, Paid-Time Off, Company-paid Holidays, Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty, Military Leave, Employee Assistance Program and Educational Assistance Reimbursement.
Calspan is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Calspan supports safe and drug free workplace through pre-employment background checks and drug testing.