We are a remote-first place workplace but the candidates for this role must be based in Pennsylvania, Colorado, California, or New York at the start of employment. Please visit our Careers page to review all opportunities and submit your application for the role(s) that best fit your experiences and location. This is a Full-Time Role (40 hours per week) with no option for part-time work.
About B Lab U.S. & Canada
A leader in economic systems change, our global network creates standards, policies, and tools for business. We certify companies — known as B Corps — who are leading the way.
B Lab Global creates standards, policies, tools, and programs that shift the behavior, culture, and structural underpinnings of capitalism. We mobilize the B Corp community towards collective action to address society’s most critical challenges. Our global community includes almost 5,000 B Corps in 77 countries and 153 industries. More than 100,000 companies use our B Impact Assessment and SDG Action Manager to manage their impact.
B Lab U.S. & Canada is one of six global partners of the global network. We foster and mobilize a growing community of people and businesses working towards a more fair and inclusive economy in the United States and Canada. Almost 1,900 B Corps make up the U.S. & Canada community, supported by the nonprofit, B Lab U.S. & Canada.
About the Opportunity
The Marketing & Communications team is responsible for the health of the B Corp brand, ensuring consistent measurement of our brand’s awareness, engagement and impact. It collaborates with cross-functional teams to advance our operational, programmatic and growth objectives. It also collaborates closely with B Lab Global and Global Partners to ensure a consistent global brand, maintain brand awareness and engage in collective action campaigns and communications relevant to both the region and the global community. The Marketing & Communications team spans all our offices, with team members located in Oakland, CA, Denver, CO, Philadelphia, PA, and New York, NY.
The Events Marketing Manager will drive the strategy, planning, and execution of events for the U.S. and Canada B Corp community. They will play a key role in envisioning, planning and managing inclusive, impactful, and effective convenings and events – which may be held in virtual, hybrid or in-person formats. This role will ensure our B Lab hosted and co-hosted events deliver exceptional experiences, high rates of attendees satisfaction, and meaningfully advance our Theory of Change. Working with allied organizations and activists within the community and aligned communities outside, the Events Marketing Manager will enhance the reputation and thought leadership of the B Corp community, helping us realize our vision of an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economy.
- Event Planning & Project Coordination [40%]
- Manage events calendar, identify opportunities for convenings that support the certification health, impact, and financial resilience of B Corps in the U.S. & Canada
- Ensure attendee satisfaction through the delivery of inclusive and meaningful convenings across all formats: virtual, hybrid & in-person
- Ensure event expectations and criteria are delivered correctly and on time
- Project manage cross functional project teams to successfully execute on through the use of effective project management tools (Asana)
- Assess successes and challenges of different attendee experiences at various events
- Anticipate event challenges and prepare accordingly
- Track and analyze data, metrics, and learnings from events to share with team
- Coordinate with MarCom team to ensure effective communication and promotion of events both before and after the event
- Execute systems and technology that creates high satisfaction of attendee customer support and feedback collection (including but not limited to use of platforms: Salesforce, Google Calendar, Google Slides, Eventbrite, B Hive, Zoom Webinar & Meetings, LinkedIn Live)
- Maintain event honorarium budget and invoice process
- Set up and maintain high standards of virtual event best practices from production set up, resourcing and communication
- Present or introduce speakers on behalf of B Lab during events
- Attend virtual and in-person events throughout the U.S. and Canada as needed
- Events Strategy, Advising, and Process Management [30%]
- Work with MarCom team and other internal support to create an events strategy for 2023
- Manage and support team in the use of event technology
- Negotiate and secure vendor contracts; manage vendor relationships
- Identify key goals, metrics, and tactics within events strategy to help us achieve our vision and bring the Theory of Change to life
- Host bimonthly events circle meetings to support cross-functional team learning and support around event hosting best practices
- 4 -6 years of marketing experience with 2 or more years of experience in event management
- Experience with virtual and in-person event production and management
- Excellent time management with the ability to manage several projects that run concurrently while meeting tight deadlines
- Experience managing projects with remote contributors and stakeholders efficiently and effectively
- Strategic thinker who can plan for the long term while balancing and deploying projects in the short term
- Empathetic with strong interpersonal skills and a customer-service orientation
- Collaborative with the agility to work across teams and departments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated strengths in presentation, facilitation, and public speaking
- Proactive & creative problem solver with the ability to discern when and who to involve when seeking a resolution
- Detail and quality oriented generalist with meticulous organization
- Passionate about using business as a force for good
- Fluent in virtual event platforms such as Eventbrite, Guidebook, and Zoom
- Basic competency in business processes and understanding or interest in B Corp Certification
- Flexible, adaptable, resourceful, self-driven, and thrives in an independent work environment
While not required the following would be a plus:
- Exudes empathy, self awareness, and curiosity
- Is in an active listener
- Adaptable in an ever-changing work environment
- Relate to our mission of using business to solve social and environmental challenges
- Understand the value of certifications, while direct experience with B Corps is not required
- Experience with the following tools, or comparable tools: Slack, Asana, G Suite, Salesforce
- Approach their work through a lens of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI)
- Proficiency in other languages is not required but could be include in your application (Canadian French a plus)
Hesitant to apply? Even if you do not believe that you meet 100% of these skills or experiences but feel that this is a great role for you, we would still like to hear from you!
B Lab has a compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $85,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation - in your first year, you’ll start with 3 weeks (prorated in a to your start date)
- 403(b) with a match of up to 3%
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- After your first year of employment, 40 hours paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and time and budget for your professional development (we assess this PD budget annually)
- A remote-first workplace, with a flexible work environment
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- In lieu of a cover letter we ask that all candidates respond to a standard set of application questions
If you progress through additional stages in the hiring process you can expect to:
- Step 1: Complete a one-way video interview presented by our team via Spark Hire
- Step 2: Participate in an interview with a panel via Google Meet
- Step 3: Complete a brief hiring exercise & participate in a final interview with a panel via Google Meet
We will begin reviewing applications on September 5th and will continue until we identify a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
Please note: All applications will be reviewed by our team, and all candidates will receive a status update via email after their application has been reviewed, which we expect to complete by September 19. Due to capacity constraints on our hiring team, we are unable to provide you with a specific status update beyond these parameters. Our ideal start date for this role is November 8th, 2022.
If we can offer reasonable accommodations to you in the application or interview processes, or if you have feedback on how we could improve the equity or accessibility of our recruitment, you are welcome to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accommodation request - Events Marketing Manager”. Please note that we are unable to respond to general status inquiries or other messages that are unrelated to accessing our application or interview processes.