We are a remote-first place workplace but the candidates for this role must be based in Pennsylvania, Colorado, or New York at the start of employment. Please visit our Careers page to review all opportunities and submit your application for the role(s) that best fit your experiences and location. This is a Full-Time Role (40 hours per week) with no option for part-time work.
About B Lab U.S. & Canada
A leader in economic systems change, our global network creates standards, policies, and tools for business. We certify companies — known as B Corps — who are leading the way.
B Lab Global creates standards, policies, tools, and programs that shift the behavior, culture, and structural underpinnings of capitalism. We mobilize the B Corp community towards collective action to address society’s most critical challenges. Our global community includes almost 5,000 B Corps in 77 countries and 153 industries. More than 100,000 companies use our B Impact Assessment and SDG Action Manager to manage their impact.
B Lab U.S. & Canada is one of six global partners of the global network. We foster and mobilize a growing community of people and businesses working towards a more fair and inclusive economy in the United States and Canada. Almost 1,900 B Corps make up the U.S. & Canada community, supported by the nonprofit, B Lab U.S. & Canada.
About the Opportunity
This role is on the Certification Team for B Lab U.S. & Canada. The Certification Team works to recruit and support leading companies to join the B Corp Movement, and partner with key stakeholders to transform the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet.
The Certification Programs Manager oversees the continuation of two programs: Growth Partners Program and Level (see program descriptions, stages of development, and unique program role responsibilities below). In addition to managing the execution and relationship of these two programs, this individual is responsible for informing B Lab U.S. & Canada strategy with evidence-based advocacy for the continuation of programs to foster a more valuable and equitable experience for both prospective and current Certified B Corps. With both programs reaching: some of our most active growth partners, historically marginalized business owners, funders, partners within our B Corp community, and requiring a healthy understanding of both our standards and processes for Certification and Re-Certification, this individual will be instrumental to B Lab U.S. & Canada in its commitment to offering programs and products that: ensure equitable access, are valuable for the growth partner network assisting with our community growth and retention, and are positioned for future profitability.
- Provide direct customer support to Level participating companies, partners, and funders as well as all those who participate in and partner with the Growth Partners Program (not our program but an example from a B Lab Global Partner, from which we can model). This requires a deep commitment of relationship building and professional experience with customer service. The scope of these audiences will likely evolve with the evolution of new programs initiated by the Certification Team.
- In an effort to also broaden access to helpful information: develop canned responses, FAQs, newsletters, toolkits, templates, and other resources to support the experience of these users and partners.
- Support on communications and lead on admin processes related to fees, invoices, and discounts for these end users and partners.
- Identify and elevate potential partnerships and raise to the organization as it aligns with Certification Team and Strategic Growth strategies while also - very importantly - able to discern which opportunities and partnerships to set aside until later or not pursue at all.
Program Stewardship Design
- Continue work of the Level program to ensure success into 2023 including, but not limited to:
- Building out an appropriate budget for fundraising strategy.
- Launch application and selection process by EOY with 2023 program launch in April 2023.
- Ensure customer satisfaction of Level 2023 companies still working through the Certification process.
- Innovate for the program to grow with integrity and authenticity and de-centering B Lab’s role in its future.
- Manage the budget and corresponding invoices with participating companies and partners.
- Develop a 12 month project plan with accountabilities, objectives, tactics, and deadlines.
- Serve as internal - and occasionally external - communications lead on the program.
- Carry on pre-work of Growth Partners Program into its first pilot in Q1 2023.
- Assess previous contractor’s work as well as notes on historical conversations with pilot users in order to prioritize plans for program launch.
- Dedicate unwavering focus on implementing the (already built) curriculum into a learning platform.
- Collaborate with the B Lab US & Canada team to recruit involvement in teaching curriculum, to gather up to date information for curriculum, and to learn best practices from event strategy.
- Prioritize deliverables accordingly and effectively advocate for budget and resources for success.
- Work alongside B Lab Global Partners to learn from existing models of this program.
- Innovate for program to grow with integrity and authenticity while ensuring revenue generating possibilities for B Lab US & Canada.
- Develop process for Certification Team to propose new programs to include within scope of work.
- Proposal process should be equitable, accessible, and aligned to B Lab US & Canada organizational goals, strategy, and tactics.
- Evolution of Role
- This role is meant to be focused on two high priority programs at B Lab US & Canada. However, while we aim to preserve a culture of protecting teammates’ boundaries and workload, roles often evolve. Expect to stretch in new areas of expertise and to be of service across more functions in this position, likely alongside both the business development team and our programs team.
- Offer voice to illustrate how Level and Growth Partners Program address community needs and are aligned to our Theory of Change and organizational sustainability via: BtheChange, Community Newsletter, internal staff communications, Champions Retreat, B Locals, etc.
- Assist Org Strategy circle by illustrating these programs to leadership, Board, and other Global Partners when necessary to demonstrate our commitments to customer success and equitable access.
- Work alongside the Strategic Growth team both at US & Canada and Global to help contextualize our commitments to assist with overall core funding.
- Support US & Canada Business Development team in identifying further opportunities through these programs to benefit companies in the queue.
- 3 - 5 years of professional experience
- Empathetic with strong interpersonal skills and a customer-service orientation
- Excellent time management with the ability to manage several projects that run concurrently while meeting tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented generalist with meticulous organization
- Proactive & creative problem solver with the ability to discern when and who to involve when seeking a resolution
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Experience work with small and medium sized business owners.
- Experience working with historically marginalized business owners.
- Passionate about using business as a force for good
- Adept in Salesforce, G Suite, Slack, Excel, and other technology platforms
- Basic competency in business processes and understanding or interest in B Corp Certification
- Thrive in an independent work environment (attending virtual team meetings, virtual check-ins with manager, etc.) and be a self-starter
While not required the following would be a plus:
- Relate to our mission of using business to solve social and environmental challenges
- Be adaptable in an ever-changing work environment
- Have capacity and interest to learn tech platforms swiftly or are tech-savvy
- Is in an active listener
- Exudes empathy, self awareness, and curiosity
Hesitant to apply? Even if you do not believe that you meet 100% of these skills or experiences but feel that this is a great role for you, we would still like to hear from you!
B Lab has a compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $75,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation - in your first year, you’ll start with 3 weeks (prorated in a to your start date)
- 403(b) with a match of up to 3%
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- After your first year of employment, 40 hours paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and time and budget for your professional development (we assess this PD budget annually)
- A remote-first workplace, with a flexible work environment
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- In lieu of a cover letter we ask that all candidates respond to a standard set of application questions
If you progress through additional stages in the hiring process you can expect to:
- Step 1: Complete a one-way video interview presented by our team via Spark Hire
- Step 2: Participate in an interview with a panel via Google Meet
- Step 3: Complete a brief hiring exercise & participate in a final interview with a panel via Google Meet
We will begin reviewing applications on September 5th and will continue until we identify a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
Please note: All applications will be reviewed by our team, and all candidates will receive a status update via email after their application has been reviewed, which we expect to complete by September 19. Due to capacity constraints on our hiring team, we are unable to provide you with a specific status update beyond these parameters. Our ideal start date for this role is November 8th.
If we can offer reasonable accommodations to you in the application or interview processes, or if you have feedback on how we could improve the equity or accessibility of our recruitment, you are welcome to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accommodation request - Certification Program Manager”. Please note that we are unable to respond to general status inquiries or other messages that are unrelated to accessing our application or interview processes.