As the leading cannabis multi-state operator (MSO), AYR Wellness is on a journey to be a force for good; and it all starts with our belief in the power and potential of the plant.
We believe in creating an environment in which we can all flourish, one where every individual can find their genius and pursue their passion, because it’s this dedication to creating a culture of excellence, one where we’re all empowered to achieve our dreams, that will propel us forward. We’re a company that puts our people first. A place where talent is rewarded, diversity is celebrated, and innovative thinking is championed and we believe that together we can build a better and brighter future for ourselves, our industry, and our world.
Join us as we create wonder together.
The Compliance Manager will assess, design, implement and evaluate compliance programs and initiatives in AYR Wellness facilities; Retail dispensaries, and growing facilities. They will conduct internal compliance audits and inspections to support corporate initiatives and state and local regulations. This role will be required to interface with regulators, executive management, and AYR Wellness employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Compliance team to ensure compliance with all applicable state, county and municipal laws, ordinances, and regulations for that state.
- Develop policies, strategies, and procedures related to regulatory compliance in coordination with department heads and organization leaders; implement policies, strategies, and procedures as directed
- Implement preventative measures and corrective action in the event of compliance concerns
- Lead and conduct compliance audits including the development of SOP’s, perform audit work steps, document and report findings, and develop and implement appropriate corrective actions
- Take a proactive compliance view of the organization and provide preventative measures to ensure the organization is compliant with all regulatory requirements
- Collect and analyze data to define and understand problems and perform research to identify root causes
- Interface with regulatory agencies to ensure the organization is in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations
- Submits applications for registration renewals to maintain state licensures.
- Assists in the application process for entering new markets by drafting and editing license applications.
- Prepares and submits documentation required for regulatory inspections and coordinates the inspection process for internal departments and state regulators.
- Uses independent judgment and knowledge of applicable state regulations to provide regulatory analyses to the Compliance
- Drafts and updates Standard Operating Procedures, Operations and Management Plans and Security Plans as needed.
- Reviews marketing collateral to ensure compliance with state regulations.
- Assists with implementing Ayr Wellness’s policies, procedures, and best practices to promote compliance.
- Investigates and resolves compliance concerns, issues, or violations.
- Motivate team members and represent compliance department across the entire organization with effective communication
- Establish and develop strong relationships across the organization, providing a consultative approach to communicate compliance initiatives
- Participate in regulatory stakeholder, industry, and other relevant workgroups
- Comply with regulations and requirements associated with health, safety, and environmental protections
- Ensure the correct use of safety devices and protective equipment as required and report any hazards, accidents, or injuries as required by company policy
- Communicate with state regulators and inspectors as needed.
- Perform internal pre-inspections, and random compliance audits on AYR Wellness facilities
- Travels periodically among the Company’s cultivation and dispensary operations
- Prior experience in a regulatory compliance position, familiarity with state regulatory entities
- Legal mindset, ability to read, understand, interpret and communicate laws, ordinances, and regulations
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to positively influence people; must be capable of effective interaction across all levels of the organization
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage high-stress situations, and be flexible and adaptable when a situation requires it
- Detail-oriented with an eye for process streamlining
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Must meet the age requirement as outlined by state cannabis agencies
- Able to pass all background checks/fingerprinting as required by state cannabis agencies
- Able to provide valid badging/credentials as required by state cannabis agencies
- Bachelor’s degree
- Equivalent combination of work/education experience accepted
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA accredited school preferred
- Law firm and/or regulatory experience is preferred
- 1-3 years compliance experience, ideally in the regulated cannabis industry or another regulated industry, such as pharmaceutical, alcohol, gaming, tobacco, or financial services/insurance/lending
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to recall relevant laws and regulations whenever needed
- Problem Solving
- Cautious and Patient
- Investigation skillset
- Strong knowledge of Cannabis industry preferred
This person may be exposed to dust, kief, cleaning chemicals, and fumes. Although systems are in place to remove these byproducts, there is still exposure to some degree. This person will be traveling between dispensaries and manufacturing facilities within AYR Wellness.
- Throughout extended periods must be capable of sitting, squatting, standing, kneeling, bending, or walking throughout the workday
- Must be capable of working in front of a computer for extended periods of time based on job duties listed above
- Occasional lifting, positioning, or moving items up to 50 pounds if relevant to the job duties listed above
- Ability to travel
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
At AYR Wellness, our vision is to be a force for good in all we do and to bring lasting positive change to our communities, our industry, and our world. And it wouldn’t be possible without our exceptionally talented team. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the uniqueness of each employee and supports their individual journey in finding their genius and pursuing their passion.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to pursuing our vision for the future, and we believe that our success is dependent on building a truly equitable, collaborative, and inclusive team. One that reflects the diversity of the communities that we serve.
In addition to a generous benefits package, and unparalleled career opportunities, as an employee at Ayr Wellness, you can expect to be provided with industry-leading training which will offer you an in-depth insight into the wonderful world of cannabis.
We recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, we want to hear from you!
AYR Wellness is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.