Avantus Federal, a NewSpring Holdings Company, is a mission-focused data, cyber and space services and solutions company. As a mid-market powerhouse with an intentional blend of elite talent, infrastructure and speed to impact, Avantus leads with technical and domain expertise for its Defense, Intelligence, Homeland Security and Federal Civilian customers.
Helping to solve some of the toughest national security problems and government missions, Avantus’ offerings enable services at scale, including: cyber technologies and operations, data and software solutions, digital engineering and integration, intelligence analysis and operations, transformation and advisory services and more.
The Data Engineer will be part of a team that consists of a Data Scientist, Data Analyst, and Analytic (Full Stack) Developer. This position is contingent and expected start is Fall of 2021.
- Discover opportunities for data acquisition, identify relevant data sources and sets and shall provide data system enhancements as required, including but not limited to product reformatting and data quality assessments to support the acquisition of new datasets.
- Design, develop, test and manage the overall architecture that helps analyze and process data in accordance with unit’s SOPs, TTPs and other such templates.
- Integrate external or new datasets into existing data pipelines.
- Process, clean, and verify the integrity, accuracy, completeness, and uniformity of data and system enhancements.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques and perform all network administration and data system operations (e.g., computer and peripheral device operations, system backups) and any related operations associated with data acquisition, data maintenance, maintaining and updating metadata, and other data and information services for stakeholders.
- Develop, construct, test and maintain databases.
- Build data and analytics tools that will offer deeper insight into the pipeline, allowing for critical discoveries surrounding key performance indicators and customer activity.
- Recommend and implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality: evaluate, compare, and improve the different approaches including design patterns innovation, data lifecycle design, data ontology alignment, annotated datasets, and elastic search approaches.
- Work as the lead data strategist, identifying and integrating new datasets that can be leveraged.
- Document all processes, models, and activities to ensure that the application created will receive an authority to operate (ATO).
- Maintain currency with latest tradecraft and technology.
- Work closely with systems architects, data scientists, and analysts to direct and optimize the flow of data within the pipeline and ensure consistency of data delivery and use across multiple projects.
- Curate and collect the data from a variety of traditional and non-traditional sources: extract data from sources, transform and integrate data in line with existing data, and load data into data stores for access by others
- Other Positions locations available: Ft. Gordon, GA, Ft. Meade, MD, Camp Humphries, ROK, Ft. Shafter, HI, OCONUS - Middle East, Vicenza, Italy, Wiesbaden, Germany
- Current TS/SCI (may require CI Poly depending on location) #AvantusClearedJob
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field with at least 4 years of experience conducting work relevant to the specific labor category with experience within the last 2 years in a similar data engineer role; OR the following: AA in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field and 6 years of experience in a similar data engineer role.PLUS the following:
- Two years of experience handling databases and software development is preferred.
- Requires the following regarding languages, tools, and techniques: Data pipeline/workflow management tools such as but not limited to Apache Current DoD TS/SCI Security Clearance May require CI Polygraph depending on location NIFI, Apache Kafka, Azkaban and Airflow and cloud services such as AWS, EC2, EMR, RDS and Redshift.
- Know basics of algorithms and data structures, distributed computing, Hadoop cluster management, HDFS, MapReduce, stream-processing solutions such as Storm or Spark, big data querying tools, frameworks, messaging systems, and big data toolkits.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Knowledge of ETL tools, data APIs, data modeling, and data warehousing solutions. R, Python, Ruby, C , Perl, Java, SAS, SPSS, and Matlab.
- Successful Completion of Pre-Employment Background Investigation required
- The status of applicable COVID-19 vaccination requirements under Executive Order 14042 are subject to change depending on applicable court orders and the course of ongoing litigation. Candidates may be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved exemption
- MS in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent field and 5 years of experience in a similar data engineer role
- Five years intelligence analysis experience is desired (MOS 35/350 series or other DoD/IC equivalent).
Company EEO Statement
Avantus Federal is an equal opportunity workplace and a Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) federal contractor. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital or veteran status, as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by requesting an accommodations application. Avantus encourages members of historically underrepresented communities to apply and hires individuals solely based on their qualifications for the role. We strongly commit to embracing diversity and ensuring equal employment opportunities for all.
If you are interested in becoming a Data Engineer, you need to understand the job requirements and
the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will
also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Data Engineer for your
Understand the job description and responsibilities of an Accountant.
Quotes from people on Data Engineer job description and responsibilities
The data engineer develops and maintains the enterprise data framework for continued use.
03/12/2022: Dothan, AL
A data engineer prepares data for analytical or operational uses.
03/03/2022: Boulder, CO
Data engineers simplify complex data structure and prevent the reduplication of data.
03/28/2022: New Suffolk, NY
Data Engineers are the technical professionals who prepare data that can be used by data scientists for valuable decisions and strategies.
04/13/2022: Harrisburg, PA
Knowing the best tips for becoming an Accountant can help you explore the needs of the position and prepare for the job-related knowledge well ahead of time.
Career tips from people on Data Engineer jobs
Changing oil, running basic checks, topping off fluids and checking tire pressure are common job duties.
01/22/2022: Fort Wayne, IN
Oil changes are an essential component of preventative maintenance.
02/26/2022: Newark, NJ
A data engineer should be aligned with a data scientist’s needs while creating a data system.
04/10/2022: Fayetteville, NC
Start with an entry-level position.
02/10/2022: Winston Salem, NC
Consider pursuing additional professional engineering or big data certifications.
03/09/2022: Saginaw, MI
View the best colleges and universities for Data Engineer.
High Point University