Laulima Government Solutions is looking for a qualified Histology Technician to provide scientific support for the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease (NIAID) in a high containment facility.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Support veterinary medical care, veterinary medical assistance, histology services, pathology services, and animal health quality assurance.
- Provide histology support services in the following major areas of research :
- Gross pathology, including high-containment/biosafety level (BSL)-4 necropsy
- Electron microscopy
- Provide technical expertise on histological and immunohistochemical methods.
- Provide routine and specialized pathology support to within BSL-4 necropsy suites and full-service histopathology and electron microscopy laboratories.
- Perform complete high-containment/BSL-4 postmortem examinations on a variety of species, including rodents and nonhuman primates.
- Provide real-time gross pathology images from the postmortem table and gross tissue trimming stations using the MacroVIEW D imaging system.
- Provides standard hematoxylin and eosin-stained tissue sections, myriad special histochemical stains, immunohistochemical staining using chromogenic and fluorescent dyes, and in situ hybridization.
- Support the digital scanning and archiving of stained tissue sections as whole slide images using the Leica SCN400/SL801 scanner.
- Provide quantitative manual and/or colormetric digital image analysis of immunohistochemically stained slides using Image Pro Analyzer 7.0, SlidePath Tissue IA 3.1, and the Nuance FX multispectral imaging system.
- Facilitate cell type-specific molecular quantitative analysis of nucleic acids and proteins using the Leica LMD 6500 laser capture microdissection system.
- Provide a variety of embedded resins and processing techniques for both transmission and scanning electron microscopy, including immunogold labeling of individual epitopes in both in vitro cell and ex vivo tissue sections using the Leica EM IGL labeling system and virus particle quantification using the Beckman-Coulter Airfuge.
- Support in the production of high-resolution, low-artifact cryo-TEM sections using the FEI Vitrobot.
- Responsible for independently performing gross and microscopic evaluation of tissues, recording results, preparing reports delineating pathological findings, and assisting with necropsy supervision. With minimal supervision, work with customers as needed to market company services and to assure customer satisfaction.
- Perform macroscopic and microscopic tissue evaluation and interpretation of assigned studies.
- Assist with necropsy supervision and may conduct necropsies, including gross pathology interpretation, sample collection and fixation.
- Enter pathology findings in data capturing system(s).
- Write comprehensive report narratives detailing all test article effects. As needed, work with study directors to ensure data is accurately integrated into study reports.
- May serve as a study director or principal investigator.
- May function as a peer review pathologist or may participate in a pathology working group (PWG).
- Provide training, technical guidance and leadership to laboratory staff and may provide training, guidance, and leadership to less experienced pathologists.
- May serve as a consultant in pathology-related issues.
- May provide scientific expertise for experimental design and other aspects of research studies as needed.
- Associate Degree in Science and completion of a Histology Technician Program
- Ability to work in BSL-4 setting
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must meet requirements of providing expert pathology services to include, but not limited to: necropsy, gross and microscopic examination, histology, immuno-histochemistry, experimental design, interpretation and collaboration in the publication of studies involving laboratory animal.
- Must have at least seven years of experience gained while working in multi-biosafety level animal program(s), four of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience with imaging systems.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DoJ Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval.
- Must be willing to be immunized with licensed and FDA approved Investigational New Drugs (IND) recommended for persons at risk to occupational exposure of biological agents
- Must be willing to participate in periodic drug screening.
- Must have the ability to obtain/maintain certification in Chemical Personnel Reliability Program and/or Biological Personnel Reliability Program.
- Must have the ability to obtain/maintain CDC Select Agent Program approval.
- Willingness to work under BSL-3, and BSL-4 conditions. Able to wear respiratory protection.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Three (3) or more years of histology experience.
- Experience in grossing, embedding, microtomy, routine and special staining, coverslipping.
- Familiarity with hospital tools such as endoscopy, cardiac telemetry monitors, and Computed Tomography (CT), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Single Positron Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT), and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and Ultrasonography imaging to systematically evaluate the pathogenic processes and clinical course of disease in animal models exposed to microbes.
- Experience with viral Select Agents is highly desired
- Good Laboratory Practice experience is preferred.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Basic understanding of laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Demonstrate interpersonal, oral and written communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrate ability to ability to work independently, design experiments, and analyze data
- Individual must be able to meet the requirements for Public Trust Level 5b. For this level, candidates must complete and pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) with fingerprinting, and a Minimum Background Investigation (MBI).
Laulima Government Solutions, LLC is a fast-growing government service provider. Employees enjoy competitive salaries; a 401K plan with company match; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; tuition reimbursement; paid time off; and 10 paid holidays. Laulima Government Solutions, LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of individuals with disabilities and veterans. We are proud to state that we do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. If you are a person with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process, please click here to request accommodation. We E-Verify all employees.
The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is comprised of industry-recognized government service firms designated as Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO)-owned and 8(a) certified businesses. The Family of Companies (FOCs) includes Ke`aki Technologies, Laulima Government Solutions, Kūpono Government Services, and Kapili Services, Po`okela Solutions, Kīkaha Solutions, LLC, and Pololei Solutions, LLC. Alaka`ina Foundation activities under the 501(c)3 principally benefit the youth of Hawaii through charitable efforts which includes providing innovative educational programs that combine leadership, science & technology, and environmental stewardship.
For additional information, please visit www.alakainafoundation.com